Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Momma Can't Drive



Most Americans are used to having a car. Usually, it is common to have at least two cars per family-one for dad and one for mom. In Saudi Arabia, it is a bit different. Why? Women are not allowed to drive. So, in Saudi Arabia, most families have one car-one for daddy. If that family is ever so fortunate, they will have another car that is driven exclusively by the family driver. Momma and the kids usually ride with the family driver, while daddy drives his car to work.

Sometimes this becomes a problem. Like today-my daughter's school called me while I was at work and told me that she was sick and that I had to pick her up. I hung up the phone and just sat there-thinking-"How am I going to manage picking her up from school?" I took out my phone and got to work. I called my husband-no answer. He must have been in an important meeting. I called my driver and he is unavailable, because he is also a driver for 3 other clients and is busy driving them for the next two hours. I tell my boss that I have to pick up my daughter. I tell her of my dilemna. She graciously offers me her driver to pick up my daughter. Whew! I was so happy that she did this, because I would have just taken a taxi, however, taxi's are not allowed through the security gate at school.

As me and my boss's driver enter the security gate, to retrieve my sick daughter, the security officer will not let us through. Why? Because we do not have a car pass to enter. I explain that my own driver has a car pass and that this guy is not my driver. He tells me to call the front office to get them to vouch for me coming into the school without a pass. I call. No one picks up the phone. Luckily, I have an old school tuition bill in my purse that I show to "prove" that my daughter goes to school there. What security, right?!! They finally let me through after I pitch a fit.

I pick her up from the nurse and as I'm leaving, security asks for an exit paper! What! I tell them that this is my daughter and that the nurse has the paper....and then I go. All this-just to pick up my sick daughter. I can't imagine what would have happened if a friend or someone else went to try to pick her up. Luckily, my work allowed me to get her!

As we are sitting in the car, my daughter tells me that she's hungry. Right. She did not have lunch. I ask the driver to swing by McDonald's. He says "no," that he has to get back and finish his work. I understand, however, for some reason, I just break down sobbing in the car. My daughter comforts me by rubbing my arm and giving me a hug. When she asks why I'm crying, I decide to be honest with her. I tell her that I am just frustrated because I wanted to be able to pick her up sooner and get her lunch, but I couldn't. Because, in Saudi Arabia-Momma Can't Drive.

5 comments:

  1. Hi,

    My name is Carole and I am the Community Manager at Expat Focus. I'm afraid I could not find your email address hence this note - please would you contact me at carole@expatfocus.com regarding sharing your listing on the Expat Focus "Top Blogs"

    Kind regards,

    Carole

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life indeed is GRACE, I'am Daan Sophia currently in California USA. I would like to share my experience with you guys on how I got a loan of $185,000.00 USD to clear my bank draft and start up a new business. It all started when i lost my home and belongings due to the bank draft I took to offset some bills and some personal needs. I became so desperate and began to seek for funds at all means. Luckily for me I heard a colleague of mine talking about this company, I got interested although i was scared of being scammed, I was compelled by my situation and had no choice than to seek advise from my friend regarding this very company and was given their contact number, getting intouch with them really made me skeptical due to my past experience with online lenders, little did i know this very Company "PROGRESSIVE LOAN INC. was a godsent to me and my family and the entire Internet World, this company has been of great help to me and some of my colleague and today am a proud owner of well organized business and responsibilities are well handled all thanks to Josef Lewis of (progresiveloan@yahoo.com).. So if really you are genuinely in need of a loan either to expand or start up your own business or in any form of financial difficulty, i advise you give Mr Josef Lewis of Progressive loan the opportunity of financial upliftment in your life Email: progresiveloan@yahoo.com OR Call/Text +1(603) 786-7565 and not fall victim of online scam in the name of getting a loan. thanks


    ReplyDelete

  3. We provide personal finances for debt consolidation, bad credit finances, unsecured finances, finances for bad credit and instant secured finances with cheap rates Do you have a firm or company that need finance to start up a business or need,personal finance, Debt consolidation? For more information. We will provide you with finance to meet your needs. For more information contact
    Note: We offer the following finances to individuals-
    *Commercial finances.
    *Personal finances.
    *Business finances.
    *Investments finances.
    *Development finances.
    *Acquisition finances .
    *Construction finances.
    *Business finances And many More:
    and many more at 3% interest rate;
    Contact Us At :oceancashcapital@gmail.com
    Website http://oceancashmj.com
    Phone number :+1-6474-864-724 (Call/Whats app)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are urgently in need of Kidney donors with the sum of $500,000.00 USD,(3 crore) All donors are to reply via Email: healthc976@gmail.com
    Call or whatsapp +91 994 531 7569

    ReplyDelete